Show and tell

I noticed something as I was interviewing a candidate last week - people can say they're excited about something, but maybe they're trying so hard to be cool they've turned frosty, because they don't seem convincing at all. I've interviewed more people than I care to remember, and have been interviewed myself a few times (though surprisingly, not that much), and one of the key components of any interview, whichever side of the table I may be on, is enthusiasm.

Granted, a candidate may not be excited about a company, its product, team, the position whatever. In that case, I'd expect an 'interesting', and a politely quick exit. If the candidate had minimal interviewing skills, s/he would send a thank-you-but-not-right-now email to close the loop, but leave no smoking bridges behind. But, I've come across candidates who profess great interest in some area - marketing, architecture, design - but can't seem to turn up the heat and get animated about it. I'm not looking for enthusiasm about my idea necessarily (though I hope that'll come), but I'm looking for the ability to get enthusiastic about something.

I try to not be judgemental, and make allowances for different personality types, so I don't expect everyone to be able to show their enthusiasm in their speech. I've trained myself to look for non-verbal cues too. One of the guys I interviewed for an architect position was not at all 'sales-y' by nature, but showed his enthusiasm by talking in depth about his projects, and his interest in the job by his quick email responses and phone calls. After his conversation with me he did a ton of research and emailed his findings and feedback. Ultimately we mutually decided that his skill set was not a good match, but he's a guy I'd recommend wholeheartedly - because he put his whole heart into the process.

As an entrepreneur I have no trouble showing my passion for my venture - actually, I have to make sure I dial it down a bit so the other person doesn't just reflect my enthusiasm back to me. And at least two out of three people I talk to are full of zest. I'm just surprised that so many don't show a spark when seeking a job in an early-stage startup in Silicon Valley where even big companies talk about passion. Startups thrive on energy, intellectual as well as emotional. If you want to join one, show that you have some - in your discussions, your emails, your followup. It'll help you move to the next level and another latte at the very least.

No comments: