A different view

I read an article in The New York Times a few days ago, titled 'In the Web World, Rich Now Envy the Superrich' - the title is pretty self-explanatory. Those who make a few millions are chagrined by those who make significantly more (the $1.65 Billion YouTube deal is mentioned of course). The spin is that it's all good, it sparks the competitive spirit and keeps Silicon Valley going for the gold.

All potentially true. And yet. I find it ironic that the article mentioned this entrepreneur who'd made a bundle trading down from a Porsche Boxster to a Prius to sidestep the challenge of keeping up with the golden boys' 911's and Ferraris - and I just got a Prius myself, but that was mostly to dump the eco-guilt of driving an otherwise excellent SUV. I shared this article with a bunch of friends in startups and while a few thought it was a sign of new and exciting times, a few others groaned, ruefully admitting to the growing startup envy where size matters - hugely. I know of so many companies that have excellent products and great traction but would never get within shouting distance of a YouTube like deal. I think of how so many people greet news of my own fledgling venture with the question 'could it be as big as YouTube?' (short answer: never). And most of all, I think of the subject of my previous post, BUILD, which struggles to raise money to keep reaching out to the young, under-privileged and under-resourced entrepreneurs out there.

A different perspective and a whole different reality.

No comments: