Hanging with the faithful

About once a year, I like going to one of these entrepreneurial conferences that seem to abound in Silicon Valley. Granted, by now they all have a similar 'look and feel' - panels and presentations with various VCs, entrepreneurs who've made it and a few top execs from companies with buzz. From bagels for breakfast to networking at lunch, the format is pretty standard. So why would I want to go?

I go because it's a boost to the entrepreneurial spirit. It's kind of like a believer going to a religious gathering - you hang out with fellow believers, listen to impassioned speakers preaching to the choir, and maybe trade stories of personal epiphanies. The cool thing is that everyone there is a believer - I haven't yet met a skeptic of entrepreneurship at one of these events. That said, I do try to pick the best of the bunch for me - the ones with the highest level of energy, not necessarily the most high-profile speakers.

So, I'm going to the Stanford GSB Entrepreneurship Conference tomorrow essentially to get a booster shot, and in my book it's worth my while to take a little time off to do so. I'm sure I'll pick up some interesting pointers here and there, but mostly I hope to get an entrepreneurial charge. We all need it every now and then.

No comments: