Be bop

The entrepreneur's world can seem very simplistic at times, as the same few factors seem to influence almost everything you do.

For example commitment. Just in this blog, I must have used that word in practically every post. I have a particular partiality to the concept - case in point, the post The Right Stuff - as do almost all entrepreneurs (I've already mentioned Paul Graham's views multiple times, for another view check out Anita Roddick). And of course, commitment stems from passion, which is another recurring theme in any entrepreneurial discourse. Keep in mind both of these are non-negotiable for an entrepreneur. Can they be developed? Yes. Taught? No.

As I'm continuing the validation effort (which is pretty much continuous in the early stages), I talk to potential customers of course, but, every now and then I run into 'big guns' and 'luminaries' who want to know about my venture, and I think it may be a good idea to get their input - after all, they're movers/shakers. I had one such encounter recently and found myself sitting there thinking "Huh? What happened here?". Mr. Mover/Shaker was interested in the space and had spent many years developing the interest, but he also had very strong opinions on how things should be done, and bottom line, my idea did not fit into his view - slam!

My first thought was that I had effectively deluded myself. Here was a very smart, successful person - in the luminary continuum, he'd be a chandelier to my backlit cellphone - who thought my idea was a no-go. Maybe despite all other feedback to the contrary, I should pack it in? But my commitment, that got me this far, wouldn't let me consider that for long. I gave myself an hour to not think before I reviewed what happened (that was hard by the way). I analyzed the response, and came to the conclusion that (a) he had some passions of his own (a) he didn't quite understand what I was talking about - which could be my positioning, or not and (c) my luminary metaphor may have something going for it. The good news is that I ended up getting a lot clearer about what my idea is not and will never be. So the questioning of my vision actually ended up strengthening it.

Coincidentally (or otherwise?), a couple of days after this conversation I attended an event with a speech on volunteerism by Christine Comaford Lynch. While her speech was on volunteerism, she couldn't avoid her other favorite topic, entrepreneurism, and wove a little of it into her speech. One thing she talked about was the 'anti-mentors', those who say you can't do what you want to, and how you shouldn't let them deflect your focus, though you could learn from them. I was listening with a smile on my face as the word 'anti-mentor' made me think of dementor (yes, I'm a JK Rowling fan) and how one could suck away the zest out of you. An extreme metaphor, admittedly. Anyhow, you're entirely capable of not letting that happen. Think of your vision (and your entrepreneurial self) as one of those 'bop bags' you find in kids' rooms (and in many cubicles!).
The nay-sayers can't let the air out as you have back-up inflation with your commitment and passion. They can knock you, but you bop right back. Be bop.

No comments: